- Other Names: Black Walnut
- Origin: North America
- Appearance: Heartwood ranges from a lighter pale brown to chocolate brown with dark streaks. Sapwood is a pale yellow-gray to off white. Grain is moderately straight and sometimes wavy and irregular. Has a mild smell when being worked.
- Density: Janka scale hardness is 1010 for kiln dry material
- Weight: 3.5lbs per board foot
- Drying: Dries well with little to no degrading.
- Workability: American Cedar wood is easy to work with and machines very well. Grain tear out may sometimes occur. Glues very well.
- Durability: Heartwood is very durable and resistant to rot and decay. Best used for interior applications
- Preservation: American Walnut is rarely stained but does take treatment very well.
- Finishing: American Walnut has good polishing characteristics; stains and finishes relatively well.
Quality & Grade
- FAS – Unselected
- Plain Sawn / Flat Sawn
- Minimal Sapwood (Less than 5%)
- Sound Tight Knots / Minimal Defects
- Rich Chocolate Brown Color – Mixed Grain
- Kiln Dried to 10-12% Moisture Content
Interesting American Walnut Hardwood Facts
- Walnut tree roots releases a toxin to kill plants growing around the tree.
- Dogs can become ill after eating the husk of American Walnut.
- American Colonists began exporting American Walnut Hardwood in the early 1600’s.
Surfaced American Walnut Hardwood
We can surface your American Walnut Hardwood order in two different ways.
- S2S (Surfaced Two Sides) – The American Walnut Wood board(s) will be surfaced on both sides/faces to a smooth finish. Both edges remain rough and will need to be straightened by the customer or woodworker. Starting Cost: $.35 and up per BF.
- S4S (Surfaced Four Sides) – The American Walnut Wood Board(s) will be surfaced on all four sides to a smooth finish. The board will be straight and ready for glue up. Starting Cost: $.50 and up per BF.
Light sanding on surfaced sides/faces will be required by the customer or woodworker once the project is near complete.
Additional lead time may be required if your order requires surfacing.
ROUGH CUT American Walnut Hardwood
Our Rough Sawn American Walnut Hardwood Lumber is readily available for shipment within 24 to 48 hours of placing your order depending on our workload. The surfacing, edging, and finishing is completed by the customer or woodworker. The material has not been machined in anyway aside from being ripped on the band saw. The cost of this material is less than S2S or S4S American Walnut Hardwood Lumber.
REQUEST A QUOTE
Thank you for choosing CaribTeak.com for your Exotic and Domestic Lumber Products needs. Simply fill out the form below and a representative will contact you shortly.
Feel free to copy and paste a list of the material you are inquiring about in the message area of the form. The more information you provide, like length(s), width(s), and thickness, the quicker and more accurately we are able to exceed your expectations! Check out our Policies Page and don’t forget to check us out on Facebook!