- Other Names: Oak
- Origin: North America
- Appearance: Heartwood is a light to medium brown with a reddish hue. Sapwood is creamy off white to light brown and not always defined from the heartwood. Grain is straight with an uneven coarse texture.
- Density: Janka scale hardness is 1220 for kiln dry material
- Weight: 3.6lbs per board foot
- Drying: Dries well with moderately high shrinkage values. Has mediocre stability especially in flat sawn boards.
- Workability: Produces excellent results with hand and machine tools. Can be steam bent and is easy to glue up.
- Durability: Has poor insect resistance and is a non-durable hardwood. Best for interior applications.
- Preservation: The heartwood is moderately accepting to preservative treatment.
- Finishing: Red Oak wood has good polishing characteristics; stains and finishes relatively well.
Quality & Grade
- First and Second Quality – FAS
- Plain Sawn / Flat Sawn
- Minimal to No Sapwood
- Minimal to No Defects
- Medium brown with reddish cast. Can be somewhat reflective.
- Kiln Dried to 8-10% Moisture Content
Interesting Red Oak Hardwood Facts
- Red Oak Wood cannot be used to make barrels due to its large pours. If made, all the of contents would eventually leak out.
- A single Red Oak Tree can consume upwards of 50 gallons of water per day.
- Red Oak trees can produce up to 1000 acorns per year and only about 20% of them actually grow in to a tree.
Surfaced Red Oak Hardwood
We can surface your Red Oak Wood order in two different ways.
- S2S (Surfaced Two Sides) – The Red Oak Wood board(s) will be surfaced on both sides/faces to a smooth finish. Both edges remain rough and will need to be straightened by the customer or woodworker.
- S4S (Surfaced Four Sides) – The Red Oak Wood Board(s) will be surfaced on all four sides to a smooth finish. The board will be straight and ready for glue up.
Light sanding on surfaced sides/faces will be required by the customer or woodworker once the project is near complete.
Additional lead time may be required if your order requires surfacing.
Rough Cut Red Oak Hardwood
Our Rough Sawn Red Oak Hardwood Lumber is readily available for shipment within 24 to 48 hours of placing your order depending on our workload. The surfacing, edging, and finishing is completed by the customer or woodworker. The material has not been machined in anyway aside from being ripped on the band saw. The cost of this material is less than S2S or S4S Red Oak Wood Lumber.
REQUEST A QUOTE
Thank you for choosing CaribTeak.com for your Exotic and Domestic Lumber Products needs. Simply fill out the form below and a representative will contact you shortly.
Feel free to copy and paste a list of the material you are inquiring about in the message area of the form. The more information you provide, like length(s), width(s), and thickness, the quicker and more accurately we are able to exceed your expectations! Check out our Policies Page and don’t forget to check us out on Facebook!