- Other Names: Red Cedar, Cigar Wood
- Origin: South America, Central America, West Indies
- Appearance: Heartwood is Reddish to pinkish brown with streaks of darker red/brown. Sapwood is yellowish white. Wester Red Cedar Wood grain is straight and moderately coarse. The scent of Spanish Cedar Wood is aromatic and clean.
- Density: Janka scale hardness is 350 for kiln dry material
- Weight: 2.9lbs per board foot
- Drying: Dries well with little to no degrading.
- Workability: Spanish Cedar Wood is easy to work with and machines very well. Closed pores and fine grain makes it difficult to stain.
- Durability: Heartwood is very durable and resistant to rot and decay.
- Preservation: The heartwood is moderately resistant to preservative treatment.
- Finishing: Spanish Cedar wood has good polishing characteristics; stains and finishes relatively well.
Quality & Grade
- First and Second Quality – FAS
- Plain Sawn / Flat Sawn – Mixed Grain
- Minimal to No Sapwood
- Minimal to No Defects
- Pinkish Orange Color
- Kiln Dried to 8-11% Moisture Content
Interesting Spanish Cedar Hardwood Facts
- Despite its name, Spanish Cedar is not really a hardwood. As a matter of fact it is quite soft. It is still considered a hardwood since it comes from the Mahogany family.
- Spanish Cedar is used extensively in manufacturing custom closets and show lockers as it’s fragrance deters moths and its moisture absorbing properties neutralizes unpleasant smells.
- The fragrant oil extracted from Spanish Cedar heartwood was once used in the mummification process in ancient Egypt.
Surfaced Spanish Cedar Hardwood
We can surface your Spanish Cedar Wood order in two different ways.
- S2S (Surfaced Two Sides) – The Spanish Cedar Wood board(s) will be surfaced on both sides/faces to a smooth finish. Both edges remain rough and will need to be straightened by the customer or woodworker. Starting Cost: $.35 and up per BF.
- S4S (Surfaced Four Sides) – The Spanish Cedar Wood Board(s) will be surfaced on all four sides to a smooth finish. The board will be straight and ready for glue up. Starting Cost: $.50 and up per BF.
Light sanding on surfaced sides/faces will be required by the customer or woodworker once the project is near complete.
Additional lead time may be required if your order requires surfacing.
ROUGH CUT SPANISH CEDAR HARDWOOD
Our Rough Sawn Spanish Cedar Hardwood Lumber is readily available for shipment within 24 to 48 hours of placing your order depending on our workload. The surfacing, edging, and finishing is completed by the customer or woodworker. The material has not been machined in anyway aside from being ripped on the band saw. The cost of this material is less than S2S or S4S Spanish Cedar Hardwood Lumber.
REQUEST A QUOTE
Thank you for choosing CaribTeak.com for your Exotic and Domestic Lumber Products needs. Simply fill out the form below and a representative will contact you shortly.
Feel free to copy and paste a list of the material you are inquiring about in the message area of the form. The more information you provide, like length(s), width(s), and thickness, the quicker and more accurately we are able to exceed your expectations! Check out our Policies Page and don’t forget to check us out on Facebook!