- Other Names: Honduran Mahogany, Genuine Mahogany
- Origin: Trinidad, W.I.
- Appearance: Heartwood pinkish brown becoming deep red or somewhat purplish upon exposure. Grain is fairly uniform to striped. Sapwood is white and fairly noticeable. Medium to high luster.
- Density: Janka scale hardness is 2,200 for dry kiln dry material.
- Weight: 4.5 – 5.2 lbs. per board foot
- Drying: Dries well with minimal shrinkage.
- Workability: Moderately difficult to work. Causes common dulling of knives and cutters.
- Durability: The heartwood is highly resistant to decay.
- Preservation: Both sapwood and heartwood are highly resistant to preservative treatments.
- Finishing: Can be finished smoothly with a high natural polish.
Quality & Grade
- First and Second Quality – FAS
- Plain Sawn / Flat Sawn – Mixed Grain
- Quarter Sawn Available in Limited Quantities
- Minimal to No Sapwood
- Minimal to No Defects
- Pinkish Brown Color Consistent Grain
- Air Dried to 8-12% Moisture Content
Interesting Genuine Mahogany Hardwood Facts
- One of the first place Genuine Mahogany was discovered was Believe, but it soon became known that Mahogany was indigenous to the Americas.
- The fruit of the Mahogany tree can be used to improve poor blood circulation.
- The desired violet-red color of Mahogany came about during the two World Wars, and is actually not the authentic color of the wood itself.
Surfaced Genuine Mahogany Hardwood
We can surface your Genuine Mahogany Hardwood order in two different ways.
- S2S (Surfaced Two Sides) – The Genuine Mahogany Wood board(s) will be surfaced on both sides/faces to a smooth finish. Both edges remain rough and will need to be straightened by the customer or woodworker.
- S4S (Surfaced Four Sides) – The Genuine Mahogany Wood Board(s) will be surfaced on all four sides to a smooth finish. The board will be straight and ready for glue up.
Light sanding on surfaced sides/faces will be required by the customer or woodworker once the project is near complete.
Additional lead time may be required if your order requires surfacing.
ROUGH CUT GENUINE MAHOGANY HARDWOOD
Our Rough Genuine Mahogany Hardwood Lumber is readily available for shipment within 24 to 48 hours of placing your order depending on our workload. The surfacing, edging, and finishing is completed by the customer or woodworker. The material has not been machined in anyway aside from being ripped on the band saw. The cost of this material is less than S2S or S4S Genuine Mahogany Lumber.
REQUEST A QUOTE
Thank you for choosing CaribTeak.com for your Exotic and Domestic Lumber Products needs. Simply fill out the form below and a representative will contact you shortly.
Feel free to copy and paste a list of the material you are inquiring about in the message area of the form. The more information you provide, like length(s), width(s), and thickness, the quicker and more accurately we are able to exceed your expectations! Check out our Policies Page and don’t forget to check us out on Facebook!