- Other Names: Red Cedar
- Origin: North America
- Appearance: Heartwood is Reddish to pinkish brown with streaks of darker red/brown. Sapwood is yellowish white. Wester Red Cedar Wood grain is straight and moderately coarse. The scent of Western Red Cedar Wood is aromatic and clean.
- Density: Janka scale hardness is 350 for kiln dry material
- Weight: 2.9lbs per board foot
- Drying: Dries well with little to no degrading.
- Workability: Western Red Cedar wood is easy to work with and machines very well.
- Durability: Heartwood is very durable and resistant to rot and decay.
- Preservation: The heartwood is moderately resistant to preservative treatment.
- Finishing: Western Red Cedar wood has good polishing characteristics; stains and finishes relatively well.
Quality & Grade
- FAS – Select and Better
- Plain Sawn / Flat Sawn
- Minimal Sapwood (Less than 5%)
- Sound Tight Knots / Minimal Defects
- Rich Reddish Brown Color – Mixed Grain
- Light Weight Soft Material
- Kiln Dried to 10-12% Moisture Content
Interesting Western Red Cedar Wood Facts
- Native American tribes would boil the Western Red Cedar tree limbs to make tuberculosis treatment.
- Chewing the leaf buds can relieve toothache.
- The oil from the inner bark can be used to treat fungal infection.
Surfaced Western Red Cedar Wood
We can surfaced your Western Red Cedar in two different ways.
- S1S2E (Surfaced One Side and Two Edges) – The Western Red Cedar board(s) will be surfaced on one face and two edges. This is the standard for when the material is used for siding for fencing. Starting Cost: $.35 and up per BF.
- S4S (Surfaced Four Sides) – The Western Red Cedar board(s) will be surfaced on all four sides to a smooth finish. The board(s) will be straight and ready for glue up. Starting Cost: $.50 and up per BF.
Light sanding on surfaced sides/faces will be required by the customer or woodworker once the project is near complete.
Additional lead time may be required if your order requires surfacing.
Rough Cut Western Red Cedar Wood
Our Rough Western Red Cedar Hardwood Lumber is readily available for shipment within 24 to 48 hours of placing your order depending on our workload. The surfacing, edging, and finishing is completed by the customer or woodworker. The material has not been machined in anyway aside from being ripped on the band saw. The cost of this material is less than S2S1E or S4S Western Red Cedar Lumber.
REQUEST A QUOTE
Thank you for choosing CaribTeak.com for your Exotic and Domestic Lumber Products needs. Simply fill out the form below and a representative will contact you shortly.
Feel free to copy and paste a list of the material you are inquiring about in the message area of the form. The more information you provide, like length(s), width(s), and thickness, the quicker and more accurately we are able to exceed your expectations! Check out our Policies Page and don’t forget to check us out on Facebook!