- Other Names: Brazilian Walnut, Lapacho, Pau Lope.
- Origin: Brazil and tropical areas of South America.
- Appearance: Heartwood can vary from olive brown to amber to almost black in color. Sapwood is white or occasionally yellowish. Texture is medium to fine. Luster is low when surfaced. Grain is straight and wide to irregular and wide.
- Density: Janka scale hardness is 3684, making it extremely hard and durable.
- Weight: 5.9 lbs. per board foot.
- Drying: Ipe dries very well with minimal checking or warping.
- Workability: Ipe can be difficult to work with. It has an extreme blunting effect on knives, blades and cutters. Carbide tipped blades are highly recommended. Pre-drilling for fasteners are highly recommended. Sands to smooth finish with minimal splintering or tear out. Nail guns are not recommended for use when fastening.
- Durability: Ipe does not require treatments or preservatives. Life expectancy is 25-40+ years with minimal signs of rot or decay. Highly resistant to termite infestation.
- Preservation: Ipe heartwood is highly resistant to decay and termite infestation. Highly resistant to preservation treatments.
- Finishing: If left unfinished Ipe will turn gray. Due to Ipe’s density, there is difficulty of treatments to penetrate the wood.
Quality & Grade
- First and Second Quality – Select
- Plain Sawn / Flat Sawn
- No Sapwood (Usually on one side/face only/Less than 5%)
- Minimal to No Defects
- Brown/Reddish/Olive Mixed Grain
- Kiln Dried to 8% Moisture Content
Ipe Wood vs Teak Wood
Like Teak Wood, Ipe Wood is an attractive and durable wood that lend itself to the fabrication of high quality and long-lasting outdoor applications. It is likely that choosing either one will bring you low-maintenance satisfaction for decades to come. Concrete and steel have a class 1 fire rating, and so does Ipe. Ipe Wood has many other names, but the one that stands out the most is Ironwood. Furniture made from Ipe Wood has the same fine look as teak. Ipe is twice as dense as teak and five times harder.
Surfaced Ipe Hardwood
All of our Ipe Wood comes S4S with an eased edge. This means there is minimal machining by the installer or woodworker. The Ipe wood is virtually ready to install. Light sanding may be required after manufacturing or installation of the Ipe application is complete.
We also offer Ipe decking that is notched with grooves for Deckwise Hidden Fasteners.
Pricing & Availability
|Surfaced S4S (Price Per LF)
|1" x 6"
|3/4" x 5 1/2"
|8' to 20'
|1" x 7" and Up
|3/4" x 6 1/2" and Up
|8' to 20'
All of our Ipe is priced by the lineal foot. All pieces will be surfaced to smooth finish and an eased edge. We can pre-groove your Ipe Deck boards for easier installation. If you have any special request or require bulk order pricing please contact us!
Please Note: Most of our Ipe Hardwood Lumber is in stock and ready for delivery within 24-48 hours. However, we may have to special order some of our Ipe Hardwood Lumber from our vendor or sawmill. Fulfillment times may vary, but generally take 3-5 days to arrive at our facility. Ipe Hardwood Lumber pricing is subject to a 150/BF minimum order. Please contact us directly for wholesale or bulk pricing and inquiries. View our Lumber Pricing Page for detailed pricing.
REQUEST A QUOTE
Thank you for choosing CaribTeak.com for your Exotic and Domestic Lumber Products needs. Simply fill out the form below and a representative will contact you shortly.
Feel free to copy and paste a list of the material you are inquiring about in the message area of the form. The more information you provide, like length(s), width(s), and thickness, the quicker and more accurately we are able to exceed your expectations! Check out our Policies Page and don’t forget to check us out on Facebook!