- Other Names: Khaya
- Origin: West Africa
- Appearance: The heartwood is uniform. The color of the grain is pink to reddish brown darkening to a rich mahogany brown over time, and the sapwood is lighter in color but distinctive. The texture is relatively coarse. The grain is generally straight and consistent.
- Density: Janka scale hardness is 1,350 for kiln dry material.
- Weight: 3.5 – 4.2 lbs. per board foot.
- Drying: Dries very slow with little checking or warp.
- Workability: Easy to work with. Irregular grain is a bit more difficult to surface. Glues and joins nicely.
- Durability: Heartwood is durable and resistant to termites. Sapwood is susceptible to beetle invasion.
- Preservation: The heartwood is extremely resistant to treatments and stains. The sapwood moderately resistant to treatment and stains.
- Finishing: Finishes nicely with natural polishes.
Quality & Grade
- First and Second Quality – FAS / Select and Better
- Plain Sawn / Flat Sawn
- Quarter Sawn available in limited Quantities
- Minimal to No Sapwood
- Minimal to No Defects
- Pinkish Brown Color with Wavy Grain
- Kiln Dried to 8-10% Moisture Content
Interesting African Mahogany Hardwood Facts
- Legend says while visiting Africa a botanist saw the tree growing in the forest. He asked his guide what type of tree it was. The local responded “Khaya” – which means “I don’t know”. The botanist recorded this name and thus the genus was named.
- The African Mahogany bark is bitter and can be used to treat colds, while the seed oil can be used to treat head lice.
Surfaced African Mahogany Hardwood
We can surface your African Mahogany order in two different ways.
- S2S (Surfaced Two Sides) – The African Mahogany Wood board(s) will be surfaced on both sides/faces to a smooth finish. Both edges remain rough and will need to be straightened by the customer or woodworker. Starting Cost: $.35 and up per BF.
- S4S (Surfaced Four Sides) – The African Mahogany Wood Board(s) will be surfaced on all four sides to a smooth finish. The board will be straight and ready for glue up. Starting Cost: $.50 and up per BF.
Light sanding on surfaced sides/faces will be required by the customer or woodworker once the project is near complete.
Additional lead time may be required if your order requires surfacing.
ROUGH CUT AFRICAN MAHOGANY HARDWOOD
Our Rough Sawn African Mahogany Hardwood Lumber is readily available for shipment within 24 to 48 hours of placing your order depending on our workload. The surfacing, edging, and finishing is completed by the customer or woodworker. The material has not been machined in anyway aside from being ripped on the band saw. The cost of this material is less than S2S or S4S African Mahogany Hardwood Lumber.
REQUEST A QUOTE
Thank you for choosing CaribTeak.com for your Exotic and Domestic Lumber Products needs. Simply fill out the form below and a representative will contact you shortly.
Feel free to copy and paste a list of the material you are inquiring about in the message area of the form. The more information you provide, like length(s), width(s), and thickness, the quicker and more accurately we are able to exceed your expectations! Check out our Policies Page and don’t forget to check us out on Facebook!