- Other Names: Bald Cypress
- Origin: Southeastern United States
- Appearance: Color tends to be a light, yellowish brown. Sapwood is nearly white. Some boards can have scattered pockets of darker wood that have been attacked by fungi, which is sometimes called Pecky Cypress Wood.
- Density: Janka scale hardness is 510 lb for kiln dry material
- Weight: Cypress weighs approximately 2.6lbs per board foot.
- Drying: Cypress Wood Lumber take slightly longer to dry compared to other softwoods.
- Workability: Cypress Wood is easy to work. Sharp knives, blades, and/or cutters are highly recommended to prevent grain tear out. Cypress Wood glues nicely. Nailing or screws acre acceptable to fasten. Cypress Wood can be painted.
- Durability: Old-growth Cypress has a high resistance to rot or decay resistance. Younger Cypress is not as resistant.
- Finishing: Cypress Wood finishes well.
Quality & Grade
- FAS – Select and Better
- Plain Sawn / Flat Sawn
- No Sapwood
- Minimal Defects
- Yellowish Brown Color – Straight Coarse Grain
- Kiln Dried to 8-10% Moisture Content
Interesting Cypress Hardwood Facts
- Essential oils found in the Cypress Tree are used in the cosmetic industry for production of shampoo with anti-dandruff effects and for production of creams with anti aging effects.
- Cypress Trees are the only trees with knees. The knees are a wood growth that sprout around the tree. This occurs when the tree is standing in swampy conditions which supply oxygen to the submerged root system.
- The Cypress Tree is both deciduous and coniferous. A conifer is a tree that has a cone shaped seed and deciduous which means it sheds its leaves in the fall.
Surfaced Cypress Hardwood
We can surface your Cypress Wood order in three different ways.
- S2S (Surfaced Two Sides) – The Cypress Wood board(s) will be surfaced on both sides/faces to a smooth finish. Both edges remain rough and will need to be straightened by the customer or woodworker.
- S4S (Surfaced Four Sides) – The Cypress Wood Board(s) will be surfaced on all four sides to a smooth finish. The board will be straight and ready for glue up.
- Tongue & Grooved – The Cypress Wood boards will be tongue and grooved to your specifications. The standard dimensions of T&G Cypress Wood is 3/4″ thick by 5-1/2″ wide, but we are not limited to just that size. Available profiles are:
- Lap Joint
- Butt Joint
Light sanding on surfaced sides/faces will be required by the customer or woodworker once the project is near complete.
Additional lead time may be required if your Cypress Wood order requires surfacing or milling.
Rough Cut Cypress Wood
Our Rough Sawn Cypress Hardwood Lumber is readily available for shipment within 24 to 48 hours of placing your order depending on our workload. The surfacing, edging, and finishing is completed by the customer or woodworker. The material has not been machined in anyway aside from being ripped on the band saw. The cost of this material is less than S2S or S4S Cypress Wood Lumber.
REQUEST A QUOTE
Thank you for choosing CaribTeak.com for your Exotic and Domestic Lumber Products needs. Simply fill out the form below and a representative will contact you shortly.
Feel free to copy and paste a list of the material you are inquiring about in the message area of the form. The more information you provide, like length(s), width(s), and thickness, the quicker and more accurately we are able to exceed your expectations! Check out our Policies Page and don’t forget to check us out on Facebook!