- Other Names: Black Cherry, American Cherry
- Origin: North America
- Appearance: Heartwood is a light pinkish brown when freshly milled. Darkens with age and exposure to sunlight to darker golden brown Sapwood is a pale yellow.
- Density: Janka scale hardness is 950 for kiln dry material
- Weight: 2.9lbs per board foot
- Drying: Dries well with little to no degrading.
- Workability: Cherry Wood is easy to work with and machines very well. Closed pores and fine grain makes it difficult to stain.
- Durability: Heartwood is very durable and resistant to rot and decay.
- Preservation: The heartwood is moderately resistant to preservative treatment.
- Finishing: Cherry wood has good polishing characteristics; stains and finishes relatively well.
Quality & Grade
- First and Second Quality – FAS
- Plain Sawn / Flat Sawn
- Quarter Sawn Available in Limited Quantities
- Minimal Sapwood
- Minimal to No Defects
- Reddish Brown Color – Wavy Grain
- Kiln Dried to 8-10% Moisture Content
Interesting Cherry Hardwood Facts
- The fruit produced by the Cherry Tree is a rich source of vitamins C and dietary fibers and can help reduce inflammation.
- A single Cherry Tree can produce around 7000 cherries per year.
- The first president of the United States did not chop down a cherry tree and proclaim he couldn’t tell a lie. The fable was written by Mason Locke Weems and printed in The Life of Washington in 1809.
Surfaced Cherry Hardwood
We can surface your Cherry Wood order in two different ways.
- S2S (Surfaced Two Sides) – The Cherry Wood board(s) will be surfaced on both sides/faces to a smooth finish. Both edges remain rough and will need to be straightened by the customer or woodworker.
- S4S (Surfaced Four Sides) – The Cherry Wood Board(s) will be surfaced on all four sides to a smooth finish. The board will be straight and ready for glue up.
Light sanding on surfaced sides/faces will be required by the customer or woodworker once the project is near complete.
Additional lead time may be required if your order requires surfacing.
Rough Cut Cherry Hardwood
Our Rough Sawn Cherry Hardwood Lumber is readily available for shipment within 24 to 48 hours of placing your order depending on our workload. The surfacing, edging, and finishing is completed by the customer or woodworker. The material has not been machined in anyway aside from being ripped on the band saw. The cost of this material is less than S2S or S4S Cherry Wood Lumber.
REQUEST A QUOTE
Thank you for choosing CaribTeak.com for your Exotic and Domestic Lumber Products needs. Simply fill out the form below and a representative will contact you shortly.
Feel free to copy and paste a list of the material you are inquiring about in the message area of the form. The more information you provide, like length(s), width(s), and thickness, the quicker and more accurately we are able to exceed your expectations! Check out our Policies Page and don’t forget to check us out on Facebook!