- Other Names: Tulip Poplar, Yellow Poplar
- Origin: Eastern United States
- Appearance: Heartwood is light cream to yellowish brown, with occasional streaks of gray or green. Sapwood is pale yellow to white.
- Density: Janka scale hardness is 540 lb for dry material
- Weight: Poplar weighs approximately 2.4lbs per board foot.
- Drying: Poplar Wood dries easily with minimum degrade.
- Workability: Poplar Wood is very easy to work. Softness may cause a hinderance.
- Durability: Heartwood is non-durable and is susceptible to insect attack.
- Preservation: The heartwood is difficult to treat with preservatives. The sapwood is permeable.
- Finishing: Due to its low density, Poplar can sometimes leave fuzzy surfaces and edges: especially during shaping or sanding. We recommend sanding with finer grits of sandpaper in order to obtain a smooth surface.
Quality & Grade
- FAS – Select and Better
- Plain Sawn / Flat Sawn
- Minimal Sapwood
- Minimal Defects
- Yellowish Brown Color – Staight to Mixed Grain
- Kiln Dried to 8-10% Moisture Content
Interesting Poplar Hardwood Facts
- The Poplar Tree is the State Tree of Tennessee, Kentucky, and Indiana.
- The bark, roots, and leaves of the Poplar Tree contain pharmaceuticals.
- The Yellow Poplar Tree is among the tallest growing hardwood tree in the U.S.
Surfaced Poplar Hardwood
We can surface your Poplar Wood order in two different ways.
- S2S (Surfaced Two Sides) – The Poplar Wood board(s) will be surfaced on both sides/faces to a smooth finish. Both edges remain rough and will need to be straightened by the customer or woodworker.
- S4S (Surfaced Four Sides) – The Poplar Wood Board(s) will be surfaced on all four sides to a smooth finish. The board will be straight and ready for glue up.
- Light sanding on surfaced sides/faces will be required by the customer or woodworker once the project is near complete.
Additional lead time may be required if your order requires surfacing.
Rough Cut Poplar Wood
Our Rough Sawn Poplar Hardwood Lumber is readily available for shipment within 24 to 48 hours of placing your order depending on our workload. The surfacing, edging, and finishing is completed by the customer or woodworker. The material has not been machined in anyway aside from being ripped on the band saw. The cost of this material is less than S2S or S4S Poplar Wood Lumber.
REQUEST A QUOTE
Thank you for choosing CaribTeak.com for your Exotic and Domestic Lumber Products needs. Simply fill out the form below and a representative will contact you shortly.
Feel free to copy and paste a list of the material you are inquiring about in the message area of the form. The more information you provide, like length(s), width(s), and thickness, the quicker and more accurately we are able to exceed your expectations! Check out our Policies Page and don’t forget to check us out on Facebook!