- Project Name: Ipe Privacy Wall – Jupiter , FL
- Manufactured by: Carib Teak
- Project Date: March 13, 2019
- Wood Type: 4/4 Ipe Wood
- Location: Jupiter, Fl
- Project time: 2 days
The couple who was interested in creating a Privacy Wall for their outdoor Courtyard wasn’t sure what type of wood to use for this application. Considering it would be used outdoors we immediately suggested Ipe Wood. This hard, strong and naturally weather resistant wood is perfect for any outdoor application.
The couple needed several boards for their project. We supplied them many times to accomplish their multiple projects using the Ipe wood. We used Surfaced Four Sides (S4S) 4/4 x 5 with an eased edge Ipe Boards. These boards were cut to length to accomplish the width of the wall. 8/4 x 2 Ipe posts were used against the wall for stability.
Characteristics of Ipe Wood
- Other Names: Brazilian Walnut, Lapacho, Pau Lope.
- Origin: Brazil and tropical areas of South America.
- Appearance: Heartwood can vary from olive brown to amber to almost black in color. Sapwood is white or occasionally yellowish. Texture is medium to fine. Luster is low when surfaced. Grain is straight and wide to irregular and wide.
- Density: Janka scale hardness is 3684, making it extremely hard and durable.
- Weight: 5.9 lbs. per board foot.
- Drying: Ipe dries very well with minimal checking or warping.
- Workability: Ipe can be difficult to work with. It has an extreme blunting effect on knives, blades and cutters. Carbide tipped blades are highly recommended. Pre-drilling for fasteners are highly recommended. Sands to smooth finish with minimal splintering or tear out. Nail guns are not recommended for use when fastening.
- Durability: Ipe does not require treatments or preservatives. Life expectancy is 25-40+ years with minimal signs of rot or decay. Highly resistant to termite infestation.
- Preservation: Ipe heartwood is highly resistant to decay and termite infestation. Highly resistant to preservation treatments.
- Finishing: If left unfinished Ipe will turn gray. Due to Ipe’s density, there is difficulty of treatments to penetrate the wood.
REQUEST A QUOTE
Thank you for choosing CaribTeak.com for your Exotic and Domestic Lumber Products needs. Simply fill out the form below and a representative will contact you shortly.
Feel free to copy and paste a list of the material you are inquiring about in the message area of the form. The more information you provide, like length(s), width(s), and thickness, the quicker and more accurately we are able to exceed your expectations! Check out our Policies Page and don’t forget to check us out on Facebook and Instagram!